HOW TO JOIN
Those wishing to join Explorer Post 916 get started by attending a general meeting as a visitor. This gives you a chance to see first-hand what Explorers do during meetings.
Interested in joining Explorer Post 916? Visit us at our general meetings, held each Tuesday from 6-9 p.m. at Safety Town, located at 15362 Alric Pottberg Rd., Shady Hills, FL 34610!
To join the Pasco Sheriff’s Office Explorer Program, Post 916, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Must be at least 14 years old, completed the eighth grade, and are not yet 21 years old.
- Younger than 14? Check out Junior Explorer Post 915!
- Must be enrolled in high school, or have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Not in high school yet? Check out Junior Explorer Post 915
- Must have and maintain a grade point average of 2.0 or better, if in school.
- Must have never pled guilty or no contest to any felony or misdemeanor involving perjury or false statement, or have more than three moving violations on your DHSMV record in the last two years.
- Must be of good moral character.
- Be of sound mental and physical capacity without serious current or prior mental/physical health issues which may interfere with normal law enforcement functions or activities.
- Must pass a complete background investigation.
- Must attend at least three consecutive Post meetings as a visitor.
- Must complete the Post membership application (provided at the visitor’s first meeting).
- Must complete an administrative interview with a Post Advisor, and pass an oral board, consisting of four Explorers and a Post Advisor.
Explorers must pay a one-time, non-refundable $25 membership fee upon acceptance into the Post. This includes registration in the Explorer Program and insurance from the Boy Scouts of America (BSA). There are no other Post dues. This can be payable with cash or check (payable to: Explorer Post 916; include “Post Membership” in the memo). If paying with check, it is not deposited until the applicant is accepted into the Program. If an applicant is experiencing financial hardship, a parent or guardian should notify the Senior Advisor.
- Attend your first general meeting as a visitor. Applicants will be given a formal application.
- At the second general meeting, the applicant should have completed the formal application and will have an Administrative Interview with the Senior Advisor. The Senior Advisor will go over the application and ensure all requirements are met. The Senior Advisor will begin the background investigation process. Applicants may arrive at 5:00 PM before the start of the general meeting to complete this step early.
- At the third general meeting, the applicant will participate in an oral board consisting of four ranking Explorers and an advisor. The oral board will ask the applicant questions regarding their interests and decision making skills. Applicants may arrive at 5:00 PM before the start of the general meeting to complete this step early. If there are any discrepancies or disqualifiers during the background investigation, the Senior Advisor will inform the applicant.
- If the applicant passes all three stages, they will be issued a Class C uniform and be added to the Explorer roster as a Probationary Explorer. At the next general meeting, the Probationary Explorer will begin their Field Training.